When you visit our dental office for a regular dental cleaning and exam, we will perform an oral cancer screening. To check for the signs of oral cancer, our gentle doctor will feel for any lumps or irregular tissue changes in the mouth and on the neck, head, and face. He will examine your mouth to check for sores or discolored tissue, and he may ask you if you have noticed any of the symptoms of oral cancer. While oral cancer may not present any symptoms, the most common symptoms include:
- Red, velvety white, or speckled white and red patches in the mouth
- A soreness or feeling that something is caught in the back of the throat
- Lumps or bumps, swellings/thickenings, rough spots, or crusts on the gums, lips, or other areas in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Persistent sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and do not heal within 2 weeks
- Unexplained numbness or tenderness in any area of the face, mouth, or neck
If Dr. Romisher detects any of the signs of oral cancer, he will refer you to a specialist for further care. For more information on oral cancer screenings in Merchantville, New Jersey, please contact our dental office.